Sunday 10 October 2010

happy crochet


crochet seat cushion: start

sketch

first desk project

crochet close up:part 1

crochet close-up: part 2

the cushion in action

This crochet cushion was my first 'new desk' project and I'm really happy with how it turned out. I made it for my bentwood stool, but it was really just an excuse to try out this crochet loop technique. I love the work of Renilde Depeuter and for ages I coveted the seat cushions she made for the miekewillems shop. But I missed out when the shop closed, so I thought I'd figure out how to make one for myself. You and me, Crochet Cushion - it's ON.

I started out with a flat spiral, which my friend Gillian taught me how to make. (She came to work one day with a crocheted beret and I immediately wanted one too, so she kindly shared her crochet wisdom.) Then I drew some design sketches and decided on a rainbow raindrop idea that I shamelessly stole from Renilde again - I'm sorry, she's just too good!

I experimented with different techniques to get the nubby texture of the original cushions. I finally settled on a sort of rag rug method but using crochet chains instead of lengths of fabric. Basically, I tied the yarn to the spiral base, chained 4, then crocheted back into the spiral base. This makes a short loop. Chain another 4, crochet back into the base, chain 4, crochet back, and so on. I kept the loops pretty close together to create a dense texture. I crocheted in all the raindrops first using left-over yarns and then filled in the background with a beautiful organic wool that I picked up in the Xmas sales.

As the cushion filled out, it got bigger and bigger and so it doesn't fit on the stool anymore, but apart from that, I love it. Pat on the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment