Saturday 16 October 2010

old mill town

new lanark

corra linn

new lanark 3

pocket heather

A couple of weeks ago, Stephen and I went to visit New Lanark. It's a 19th century model mill town that has been preserved as a heritage site. The owner of the mills was a social visionary and believed in looking after his workers. They were given reduced hours, free education, free healthcare, nurseries and childcare. You can visit the museum that will tell you all this, or you can skip the museum and just go on wikipedia, like I did. Bad, bad tourist.

We just walked about, went to the cafe and I bought some wool and useless objects at the shop (more on that to come). Then we went for a walk along the river to the falls of the Clyde. This wasn't part of our plan, but man am I glad we did it. The falls are breathtaking. They are sublime*. And roaringly loud. It was a pretty drizzly day, but then the sun came out and I was sure that there was going to a rainbow. I was hanging around for ages, hoping I could get an amazing photo, but it didn't happen. Then I pinched some heather and stuck it in my Barbour jacket, because I am SO country.

* I do not use this word lightly. At university, we had a whole lecture on the use of the word 'sublime' on my Romantics course. Waterfalls are about the only time you can use that word accurately. You certainly shouldn't use it to describe a chocolate bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment