Monday 11 October 2010

salvaged pillowcases

pair of pillowcases

pillowcase - close up

I made these pillowcases from an old nightshirt I had. I bought it years ago from muji in hong kong because I loved the fabric - it's a soft, brushed cotton with woven stripes and diamonds -
but it wasn't very comfortable to wear in bed so it was always left at the bottom of the drawer. I was about to throw it out thinking 'what a shame, this would make lovely bedlinen' and then thought, 'HEY, I could cut it up and make a pillowcase! Maybe even two!'
Cutting it up was a little tricky - you have to negotiate seams and darts - but I got a few decent pieces of fabric eventually. I saved the buttons too. I used some plain white cotton to make the envelope closure and stitched them all together. I am a recycling queen.

2 comments:

  1. Hee-hee! This is my FIRST EVER COMMENT!! I was totally thrown. I didn't even realise that I had to 'publish' it! Thanks for the lovely comment, Sarah. I will make sure they're in the guest bedroom when you come to stay.

    ReplyDelete