Saturday 13 November 2010

broken umbrella



(Actually, my umbrella hasn't broken yet, but it is only a matter of time...)

This time last year, I went in search of a decent umbrella. The wind and rain in Scotland is dreadful and I was fed up wrestling with flimsy compacts. Trying to get an umbrella to behave while trying to cross the road in the midst of a gale and lashing rain is dangerous, not to mention humiliating. I thought that one of those clear bell umbrellas that cover you would be just the ticket. And it's been ok, but not as good as I'd hoped. Firstly, you can't actually see through it very well because of the raindrops. Duh. So obvious and yet...not. Secondly, it isn't as gust-proof as I though it would be. It has never turned inside-out, but it still takes on a life of its own in the wind. And thirdly, it has started to break. A spoke has cracked and burst through the top and the button-strap has pulled off. So far, I can live with it but I get angry and then feel bad for getting angry at my poor umbrella. It's basically a bad situation and we'd both be better off if I ended it.

So I'm thinking of investing in a Senz umbrella. Oooo. The most easily displaced piece of groundbreaking technology and award-winning design you'll ever own. There are a few different colours and patterns available on their webshop, but I like the limited edition prints by Mina Perhonen. They are mostly sold out, but I found some still available here. This time, it better work or I'm emigrating.


No comments:

Post a Comment